Monday, March 17, 2014

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning (1)

"Oh, decisions, decisions!"
Starting a blog entry is not easy. I’ll spend up to an hour staring at the blank screen, playing a mental game of Scrabble with tiles that belong in a Clue board, struggling to find the letters, let alone the words, to string together my thoughts coherently. I obviously have too much time on my hands, and a few too many board games too. How many exactly? Roughly around twenty-two, and I know that figure because I recently made an excursion to the shabby dark room where all the boxes are stored, and counted them all. Some were pristine and hardly touched (those were the ones with instructions too complex to maintain the attention of an agitated 6 year old boy), while others were so worn you could have sworn they dated back to when cavemen rode dinosaurs! Wait a minute…
          Seeing all those old dice, imaginary money, colorful playing boards and minuscule figurines brought back a feeling of nostalgia to the time of my childhood, to which everyone can hopefully relate. Seeing as I had nothing better to do than finish my mountain of English assignments, I decided to play a game of Monopoly Disney Edition against myself. For myself, I picked the statue of Peter Pan as my ambassador, and my opponent contended himself with Pinocchio (that way I knew he wouldn't be able to cheat without giving himself away).
"All children, except one, grow up."
      -J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
I started the game by rolling a 4. Incidentally, that’s how old I was when my parents bought the game. I remember vaguely coming home after having attempted (I use this word lightly) to ride my bike for the first time without training wheels. The result was a badly scratched boy in tears, halfway through a temper tantrum, enraged and stumped by failure. After all, the lack of two extra wheels couldn't make THAT much of a difference?
Pulling myself back to the present, I made Peter advance to his designated tile, landing squarely on “Scrooge McDuck’s tax – Pay 10% or 200$”. Two hundred dollars of my hard earned money?! Then I recalled, of course, that 200$ here was very little. Two dollars in the real world used to be a vast sum in my youthful eyes. You could buy two things at the dollar store (13% tax means very little to children)! The first time my dad gave me money of my own, he told me to save it and let it build up for something that I really desired. So naturally I spent it on the first shop item I spotted. The next day, I saw a homeless man on the streets and realized how much value 2$ had to him, and how I had spent mine so frivolously.
Hold on tight.
My opponent rolled and supposedly got a 13, except we were playing with two 6-sided die, so I called him out on the fib. My sister had a knack for knowing when I wasn't
being squeaky clean about something, and I often paid a heavy price when my parents caught wind of my dishonesty. It resulted in their lack of trust, something which I had come to rely upon and which had meant a good deal to me. Mutual confidence binds people closer together and there’s a certain comfort in knowing you can depend on others and that you yourself can be relied upon.
His Pinocchio piece moves to a “Magic Moments” square and he picks up a card that reads “You tell a lie to the Blue Fairy – Pay 20$ and go to jail”; justice. It’s my turn again, and this time Mr. Pan flies to a “Show Time” tile, and I draw a card. Something in my memory shifts, and in my mind’s eye I recall drawing this very card as a child, though admittedly I was unable to understand it. This time, the meaning is clear: “If you are playing as Peter Pan, Tinker Bell sprinkles you with her magic, unlocks the child within and sets you free – Return to Go and recollect your memories”.
Fairy dust only helps those that believe.
I realized then and there, that despite the hairiness of my body, the deepness of my voice, my self-instilled delusions of adulthood, and generally high testosterone levels, I’m nothing but a slightly older Peter Pan who’s just remembered how to fly again.

I challenge you to steal a few minutes of your oh-so-busy-day to take a glance at the games, the toys or the artifacts of your time as a kid, and relive the memories associated to each of them. Who knows, you might just manage to find Dumbo’s magic feather and take to the air.

References:
J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the way that you expressed yourself through your game of Monopoly. I've never read anything described in such a fashion, and I felt that your cleverly formulated sentences and ideas roped me in. I liked the way that you tied every move and element in your game to a point or an example that you explain. By the end I felt myself reflect upon my own life because I felt that your stories were very relatable and intriguing. Maybe you should consider a career in English and Philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, the things I write aren’t anything overly special. Anyone can do it. My process is simple: I try to live my life a little differently everyday and gain a new perspective on things. The opinions I form and the feelings I feel are then transcribed into concrete words to convey them to a general audience. The monopoly game allegory was spawned after playing a few board games with some of my younger cousins. It’s the simplicity of it that engendered my inner reflection, and I wanted you to experience that kind of moment as well. And maybe I’ll consider those careers in the future, but until then I prefer to keep the future an open mystery! Thank you very much!

      Delete
  2. This happened to me the other day while I was babysitting and the little girl wanted to play Just Dance, and I couldn't help but smile, because I had been wrapped up in my own little bubble of confinement for a while and once we started playing I recalled all the great memories I've had with this exact game and how it brings out the silly in all of us. And I most definetly agree with Amanda, you have to do something about how amazing you write. For heavens sake Jon, write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jonathon, I was just reading your blog and it’s really interesting, and I loved the way you speak to you audience it really gets me wanting to read more. I was just wondering which board games do you prefer playing with your friends, and would you consider monopoly one of the best board games in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at the title. I absolutely adore J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan (can we say greatest angst story cleverly disguised and packaged as a children's tale ever?). The idea that we can, with a bit of time and effort, become "young" again, is an inspiring one. I've found that as I get older, it gets a bit harder to believe in magic and to experience the sheer, all-encompassing joy one could as a child. That's not to say I'm a cynic, but with the prospect of "real life" creeping up, it's definitely important to take a minute and remember to enjoy yourself.
    And bravah for the writing style: "self-instilled delusions of adulthood". I applaud you, sir.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciated the way that you explained yourself through the game of Monopoly that you were playing. When you mentioned the abundance of games that you've collected throughout your childhood, I found myself wondering how many abandoned board games there are sitting in my closet. I think that everyone should take the chance to relive a round of their favourite childhood board game. I look forward to reading more of your blog entries!

    ReplyDelete