Saturday, April 5, 2014

The Stirrings

"I don't think it's going to fit!"
The “Awkward Stage”, or “The Stirrings” 1, is that not-so-fond period of our uphill trek through time. Our parents refer to it as the moment we begin to discover ourselves and uncover the temple of our bodies. Let’s not kid ourselves here (our lives are already so full of deceit – in this blog I will not stand for any falsehoods). Puberty is that one weird kid that joins your well-established social circle and tries to fit in – we've all been in both scenarios. In the terms of a shape sorter, they’re a triangle stubbornly trying to squeeze into the slot designated for the apeirogon (a polygon with an infinite number of sides, in case you were wondering) 2. Life is the toddler that keeps jamming in the shape when it’s clear to anyone with an IQ above 20 (I think any lower would mean you’re not human) that it’s just not meant to be. But what do you know, the triangle gets stuck and it won’t be budging anytime soon. You’re in for a treat now, friend.
No hair, no problem.
          
          In my case, the journey through Hell began when I started to grow hair under my armpits at a time when everyone else was as smooth as a naked mole rat. Eventually, the hair spread to my legs, my arms, my face, my chest… you get the idea. My voice dropped like Justin Bieber climbing the ladder to reach puberty (sorry, couldn't help myself). All of a sudden I was being mistaken for my dad instead of my mother over the phone. When my voice wasn't cracking, my bones surely were under the pressure of the sudden growth spurt that stretched me to 6 feet in height. Strange sensations, dreams and thoughts pervaded my innocent conscience. I started to sweat more than usual, yet my general state of cleanliness and upkeep took a turn for the worst. The stupidest things made me laugh, and important world issues took a backseat to the 25 kill streak I just achieved in Call of Duty. I literally became the definition of lame, awkward, gross and immature. Raise your hand if you have ever been personally victimized by puberty (if you are reading this as a girl, I’m sure the symptoms I described are transferable).
          
         At this point of the process, I'm fairly certain the peak of the nightmare is behind me, and there are only a few bumpy hills ahead. I wonder in retrospect why it was worth it: the embarrassment, the ugliness, the struggle of fitting in when the odds were never in your favor. Certainly there is a scientific explanation: that your hormones begin to produce testosterone or estrogen and transform you from boy to man, girl to woman 3. If this was the sheer purpose of puberty, couldn't it be less of an ordeal and more of a smoother procedure? No, I believe there is a greater motif lurking in the shadows. Teenagers are meant to suffer the brutality of change in the same way a puny army recruit undergoes training camp to emerge as a hardened and veteran Navy Seal. I’m not promising you that at the end of the operation you’ll be a beautiful white swan. But just like in war, there are some things you leave on the battlefield, and others you carry back with you in your backpack. There are those whose arrogance and bullying will encounter opposing teasing and intimidation; they will acquire humility. Others may have developed an impenetrable iron hide from the insults thrown their way. Some will have gained insight of those elements in life they should be prioritizing. Yet, there will always be those teenagers that come out far worse than they began, whether it is a fragile sense of self worth, an ingrained hatred of society, or self-destructive habits.
Who will you become?

These examples are few and vague, and you yourself may sometimes feel small and uncertain. Nonetheless, the point of puberty is to learn something from the struggle and carry it with you always, but more importantly to discover what kind of person into which Life will mould you. What will the contents of your pack reveal about who you have become?
           

References:
1 Lois Lowry, The Giver
2 Apeirogon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apeirogon



3 comments:

  1. Whoa man, this is some deep stuff you have here. I never really noticed when I had hit puberty, it was more of a sudden change. Of course it didn't happen overnight but it was so gradual that it was almost as if it never happened. I believe that this is a hard time for teenagers, many struggle with the new sudden changes, making them have troubles in social situation because they are uncomfortable or common things awkward, like running. Puberty could possibly be the death of some people in extreme situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re in the same boat on that one Alexandre. Actually, in my case, the first change of puberty did happen overnight! I woke up and when I spoke it sounded like I had developed a bad cough, but it was really just my voice getting deeper. I agree that we all struggle through the phases of puberty, and it’s important to have someone you can talk to in order to find solace and understanding of the transformations of your body and mind. I agree that if handled badly, puberty could be a horrible experience for some, but like with any change, there is always something better waiting on the other side!

      Delete
  2. Jonathan, your take on the deeper meaning of puberty is so fascinating! Some of the points you brought up were really neat to think about. I never thought of being thankful for the changes and struggles that puberty has put me through. To think, the most awkward stage of my life was where I really learned about who I am as a person, and who I never want to be. Its so true! I'm still taken aback by the thought!

    ReplyDelete